About Me

My photo
Bay Area, CA, United States
I'm a computer security professional, most interested in cybercrime and computer forensics. I'm also on Twitter @bond_alexander All opinions are my own unless explicitly stated.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Status update

Wow, I can't believe I haven't updated this blog since July. A lot has been going on since then, and I've been too busy to keep up the blog. While I hope to have more time and material in the near future, I'm starting a new role at a new company at the end of the month and I don't yet know their stance on personal blogging. Once I've had a chance to get settled there and get to know their stance on blogging, hopefully I'll be back here posting regularly about what's going on.

In the meantime, I've been learning more about incident response. In particular, Harlan Carvey's written some great articles on his blog, I highly recommend them. They're more pointed at high level overviews of IR rather than step by step how to do it, but that's what I need right now: basics of how to approach it. Besides, the details of IR vary dramatically based on your org's situation and needs, so that's really the only way to do it.

Also, Brian Baskin's DerbyCon talk "How to Get Fired After a Security Incident" is now available online. It's a great presentation about common mistakes made in forensics and incident response.

The short version of both Harlan's and Brian's message: prepare yourself before you discover your breach.

No comments:

Post a Comment